Ohiopyle Falls along the Youghiogheny
Map of the Monongahela River basin, with the Youghiogheny River highlighted.
|State||Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia|
|Counties||Allegheny, PA, Westmoreland, PA, Fayette, PA, Somerset, PA, Garrett, MD, Preston, WV|
|Cities||McKeesport, PA, Connellsville, PA|
|- location||Backbone Mountain, Preston County, West Virginia|
|- elevation||2,688 ft (819 m)|
|- location||McKeesport, Allegheny County, PA|
|- elevation||724 ft (221 m)|
|Length||132 mi (212 km)|
|Basin size||1,715 sq mi (4,440 km2)|
|- location||Sutersville, PA|
|- average||3,477 cu ft/s (98.5 m3/s)|
|- minimum||717 cu ft/s (20.3 m3/s)|
|- maximum||35,500 cu ft/s (1,010 m3/s)|
|- location||Oakland, MD|
|- average||329 cu ft/s (9.3 m3/s)|
|- left||Maple Run, Rhine Creek, Cherry Bottom Run, Snowy Creek, Chisholm Run, Herrington Run, Toliver Run, Muddy Creek, Salt Block Run, White Rock Run, Trap Run, Laurel Run, Peppermint Hollow, Buffalo Run, Reason Run, Hall Run, Tub Run, Ramcat Run, Long Run, Meadow Run, Cucumber Run, Jonathan Run, Sugar Run, Bruner Run, Johnson Run, Morgan Run, Dunbar Creek, Opossum Run, Dickinson Run, Furnace Run, Virgin Run, Washington Run, Browneller Run, Flack Hollow, Cedar Creek, Pollock Run, Gillespie Run|
|- right||Sand Spring Run, Cherry Creek, White Meadow Run, Little Youghiogheny River, Millers Run, Round Glade Run, Deep Creek, Fork Run, Steep Run, Ginseng Run, Gap Run, Bear Creek, Mill Run, Braddocks Run, Casselman River, Drake Run, Camp Run, Lick Run, Rock Spring Run, Sheepskin Run, Jim Run, Stulls Run, Bear Run, Laurel Run, Crooked Run, Workman Run, Indian Creek, Laurel Run, Mounts Creek, Galley Run, Hickman Run, Smiley Run, Laurel Run, Jacobs Creek, Sewickley Creek, Crawford Run, Long Run|
|Waterbodies||Silver Lake, Youghiogheny River Lake|
The Youghiogheny River //, or the Yough (pronounced Yok //) for short, is a 134-mile-long (216 km) tributary of the Monongahela River in the U.S. states of West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. It drains an area on the west side of the Allegheny Mountains northward into Pennsylvania.
References[change | change source]
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Youghiogheny River
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed August 15, 2011
- Based on information from United States Geological Survey (USGS); USGS 03083500 Youghiogheny River at Sutersville, PA retrieved March 17, 2007. Sutersville is several miles upriver from McKeesport and thus the real figure is higher.
- USGS, Table of average annual daily discharges for Youghiogheny River at Sutersville, PA, retrieved March 17, 2007. Figure cited is for 2005, most recent year for which figures are available.
- USGS, Table of average annual daily discharge for Youghiogheny River at Oakland, PA, retrieved March 17, 2007. Figure cited is for 2005, most recent year for which figures are available.
- "Youghiogheny". Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Retrieved December 23, 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)