Zara Phillips in 2007
|Born||Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips
15 May 1981
St Mary's Hospital, London, England, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Exeter|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Spouse(s)||Michael Tindall (m. 2011–present)|
|Parent(s)||Anne, Princess Royal
|Relatives||Peter Phillips (brother)
Elizabeth II (grandmother)
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (grandfather)
George VI (great-grandfather)
Edward VII (great-great-granduncle)
George V (great-great-grandfather)
Edward VII (great-great-great-grandfather)
Queen Victoria (great-great-great-great-grandmother)
Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips MBE (born 15 May 1981), who is known as Zara Phillips, and formally as Mrs Michael Tindall, is a British equestrian and the second-eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Zara is the second child, and only daughter, of Anne, Princess Royal and her first husband, Mark Phillips. She is 15th in the line to the 16 thrones of the Commonwealth realms. She is married to Mike Tindall, who used to be a rugby player for England. She is better known by her maiden (old name before marriage) name. In the line of succession, she is called "Mrs Michael Tindall".
She was given an Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) honour in the 2007 New Year's Honours List, by her grandmother for her services to equestrianism. In 2012, she carried an Olympic flame at a racecourse in Cheltenham.
She won a silver medal at London 2012.
Early life[change | change source]
She has an older brother, Peter Phillips (born 15 November 1977). She has two half-sisters, Felicity Tonkin (born in 1985 after her father had an affair) and Stephanie Phillips, born 2 October 1997, from her father's second marriage.
The children of the Princess Royal do not hold a title. It is thought their mother did not want them to have one.
Marriage and family[change | change source]
On 21 December 2010, Buckingham Palace said she was engaged to Mike Tindall MBE. She got a diamond and platinum engagement ring from Tindall. They married in 2011. Her daughter, her only child, Mia Tindall, was born on 17 January 2014. Her daughter is 16th in line to the British throne.
References[change | change source]
- Victoria Murphy (20 August 2012). "Zara Phillips says: Call me Mrs Tindall". mirror.co.uk. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/08/03/zara-phillips-says-call-me-mrs-tindall-115875-23316118/. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "The British Monarchy". http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/Successionandprecedence/Succession/Overview.aspx. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- London Gazette: , 20 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Helliker, Adam (20 August 2012). "Redwood and Nikki meet the parents | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-229216/Redwood-Nikki-meet-parents.html. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Streib, Lauren (20 August 2012). "In Pictures: The 20 Hottest Young Royals". Forbes.com. http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/23/royals-celebrity-monarchs-biz-billies-cz_ls_0527royals_slide_4.html?thisSpeed=undefined. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "That's a lovely ring you got Zara...now how about visiting the manicurist?". Mail Online (UK). 20 August 2012. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1340474/Zara-Phillips-engagement-ring-England-rugby-star-Mike-Tindall.html.