From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1560s 1570s 1580s – 1590s – 1600s 1610s 1620s|
|Years:||1587 1588 1589 – 1590 – 1591 1592 1593|
- March 14 – Battle of Ivry – Henry IV of France again defeats the forces of the Catholic League under the Duc de Mayenne.
- May – August – Unsuccessful siege of Paris by Henry IV of France. Henry is forced to raise the siege when the Duke of Parma comes to its relief with a Spanish army.
- May 17 – Anne of Denmark is crowned queen of Scotland.
- August 18 – John White, the governor of the Colony of Roanoke, returns from a supply-trip to England and finds his settlement deserted.
- September 15 – Pope Urban VII succeeds Sixtus V.
- December 5 – Pope Gregory XIV succeeds Urban VII.
- Coptic Pope Gabriel VIII succeeds Yoannis XIV.
- Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria Meletius I succeeds Silvester.
- Japan is united by Toyotomi Hideyoshi