Pope Urban VII
|Papacy began||15 September 1590|
|Papacy ended||27 September 1590|
|Predecessor||Pope Sixtus V|
|Successor||Pope Gregory XIV|
|Birth name||Giovanni Battista Castagna|
|Born||4 August 1521
|Died||September 27, 1590 (aged 69)
|Other Popes named Urban|
Pope Urban VII (Latin: Urbanus VII; 4 August 1521 – 27 September 1590), born Giovanni Battista Castagna, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 229th Pope for thirteen days in September 1590.This makes him the shortest reigning Pope in the history of the Catholic church.
Early life [change]
Castagna was ordained priest 30 March 30, 1553.
Pope Urban died on September 27, 1590.
Related pages [change]
Other websites [change]
- Media related to Urbanus VII at Wikimedia Commons
- "Pope Urban VII". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Urban VII
- GCatholic, Pope Urban VII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Castagna