Pope Julius III
|Papacy began||7 February 1550|
|Papacy ended||23 March 1555|
|Predecessor||Pope Paul III|
|Successor||Pope Marcellus II|
|Consecration||12 November 1514
by Antonio Maria Ciocchi del Monte
|Created Cardinal||22 December 1536|
|Birth name||Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte|
|Born||10 September 1487
Rome, Papal State
|Died||23 March 1555
Rome, Papal State
Pope Julius III (Latin: Julius Tertius; 10 September 1487 – 23 March 1555), born Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 222nd Pope from February 1550 until his death in 1555.
Early life[change | edit source]
Bishop[change | edit source]
Cardinal[change | edit source]
Pope[change | edit source]
Cardinal Ciocchi del Monte was elected pope on 7 February 1550.
Pope Julius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Pope Julius re-opened the Council of Trent.
Related pages[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- P. Messina, 'Del Monte, Innocenzo', Dizionario biografico degli italiani, Vol 38, Rome, 1990..
Bibliography[change | edit source]
- Smith, Marc (2002). "Julius III". In Levillain, Philippe. The Papacy: Gaius-Proxies. Routledge. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=7VDcmDeLuV4C&pg=PA886&lpg=PA886&dq=Julius+III&source=bl&ots=djLhedlUz-&sig=NoLayiWKqI8XyPOXJjX-3XxsOJE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7NpjUKDQL6jomAWYoIGYAQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Julius%20III%20a%20pope%20with%20no%20pronounced%20personality&f=false.
- O'Malley, John W (2009). A History of the Popes: From Peter to the Present. Government Institutes. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=H3Cs-1w5mucC&pg=PA202&lpg=PA202&dq=Paul&source=bl&ots=yxilX_QbKn&sig=0_sJwMPgNgSswvZLLA5MkcFafiA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r-JjUKKtH6KKmwWWyoHgAw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Paul%20III%20died%20the%20year%20he%20suspended%20the%20Council&f=false.
- Bayle, Pierre. "Jules III." Dictionnaire historique et critique. Vol. 15. Paris: Desoer, 1820.
- Burkle-Young, Francis A., and Michael Leopoldo Doerrer. The Life of Cardinal Innocenzo del Monte: A Scandal in Scarlet. Lewiston, N.Y.: Edwin Mellen, 1997.
- Dall'Orto, Giovanni. "Julius III." Who's Who in Gay and Lesbian History from Antiquity to World War II. Robert Aldrich and Garry Wotherspoon, eds. London: Routledge, 2001. 234-35.
- Kelly, J. N. D. The Oxford Dictionary of Popes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- "Pope Julius III". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Julius III
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Ciocchi del Monte
|Catholic Church titles|
7 February 1550 – 23 March 1555