Pope Callixtus III
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Papacy began||April 8, 1455|
|Papacy ended||August 6, 1458|
|Predecessor||Pope Nicholas V|
|Successor||Pope Pius II|
|Birth name||Alfonso Borja or Borgia|
|Born||December 31, 1378
|Died||August 6, 1458
Pope Callixtus III (Latin: Callistus Tertius; December 31, 1378–August 6, 1458), born Alfonso de Borja, was an Spanish official of the Roman Catholic Church and the 210th Pope from April 8, 1455 until his death.
Early life[change | change source]
Bishop[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The pope's name is also spelled "Callistus"
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2012-6-22.
- "Pope Callistus III", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
- The Italian spelling for the pope's name was "Borgia".
- Beckett, William. (1836). "Callixtus III," A Universal Biography, Vol. 1, p. 633.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1836). "Calixtus III," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 6, p. 162.
- "Joan of Arc", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Pope Callistus III". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Borja, Alfonso de