From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1560s 1570s 1580s – 1590s – 1600s 1610s 1620s|
|Years:||1594 1595 1596 – 1597 – 1598 1599 1600|
Events[change | edit source]
- 17 January – A court case in Guildford recorded evidence that a certain plot of land was used for playing “kreckett” (i.e., cricket) as early as 1550.
- January 24 – Battle of Turnhout. Maurice of Nassau defeats a Spanish force under Jean de Rie of Varas in the Netherlands
- February 5 – In Nagasaki, Japan, 26 people were martyred. They practiced Catholicism and were taken captive after all forms of Christianity were outlawed the previous year.
- The first opera is considered to have been written.
- Bali discovered by the Dutch explorer Cornelis Houtman
- Abbas I ends the Uzbek raids on his lands.
- Yaqob succeeds his father Sarsa Dengel as Emperor of Ethiopia
- First edition of Francis Bacon's Essays published.