From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1610s 1620s 1630s – 1640s – 1650s 1660s 1670s|
|Years:||1638 1639 1640 – 1641 – 1642 1643 1644|
Events[change | change source]
- The Long Parliament passes a series of laws written to help keep Charles I's absolutist policies.
- August 10 – Charles I of England runs from London to the north
- Irish Rebellion of 1641 – revolt of the Gaelic Irish in Ulster against the English settlers
- The Dutch found a trading colony on Dejima, near Nagasaki, Japan.
- Portugal is ousted from Malacca by the Dutch.
- Claudio Monteverdi's opera Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria is first performed.
- Moses Amyraut's De l'elevation de la foy et de l'abaissement de la raison en la creance des mysteres de la religion is published.
- The Norwegian city of Kristiansand was founded by King Christian IV