|Governorate||Beirut, Capital City|
|• Mayor||Bilal Hamad|
|• City||20 km2 (8 sq mi)|
|• Urban||100 km2 (40 sq mi)|
|• Metro||200 km2 (80 sq mi)|
|• City||361,366 (UN)|
|• Metro||2,250,000 ~ 3,000,000|
|• Summer (DST)||+3 (UTC)|
Beirut is the capital of Lebanon. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities of the world. It is situated on a hilly promontory on the eastern Mediterranean surrounded to the east by the snow-capped mountains of Lebanon. Before the civil war it was a cultural center of the Arab World and a major international financial, banking and media center.
Gallery[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- Linda Jones Hall, Roman Berytus: Beirut in Late Antiquity, 2004.
- Samir Kassir, Histoire de Beyrouth, Fayard 2003.
- Richard Talbert, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, (ISBN 0-691-03169-X), p. 69.
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Beirut|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Beirut|
- Official website of Beirut
- Downtown Beirut
- Discover Lebanon - Beirut photos and images, virtual tour, Allenby street, parliament, museum