Bipasha Basu at the launch of Filmfare cover issue in April 2009.
|Born||January 7, 1979
Bipasha Basu (born 7 January 1979) is an Indian movie actress who appears in Hindi language movies. She has also worked in Telugu, Tamil and Bengali language movies. She was a successful model before appearing in movies.
Basu's first movie as an actress was Ajnabee (2001). Her first successful movie was Raaz (2002). She was chosen for Filmfare Best Actress Award for Raaz. She then appeared in commercial successes like No Entry (2005), Phir Hera Pheri (2006) and Race (2008). Dhoom 2 (2007) is her biggest commercial success so far. Her work in Apaharan (2005), Corporate (2006) and Bachna Ae Haseeno (2008) was praised by movie critics. This led to her becaming a leading actress in the Hindi movie Industry.
Basu is also known for her dances like "Phoonk De" in No Smoking (2007) and "Beedi" in Omkara (2006). She has completed filming her first international movie, Singularity.
Early life and modelling career [change]
Basu was born to a Bengali Hindu family in New Delhi. She lived in Pampoosh Enclave, Nehru Place and studied at Apeejay High School. She was 8 when her family moved to Kolkata. She continued studying in Kolkata at Bhavan's Gangabux Kanoria Vidyamandir.
Basu studied commerce at Bhawanipur Education Society College after 12th standard. She had planned to become a doctor before taking commerce. She did modelling shows in her college as a hobby. In 1996, she won the Godrej Cinthol Supermodel Contest and went to New York to became a successful model.
Acting career [change]
Early work (2001-02) [change]
Vinod Khanna was one of the judges at the supermodel contest in which Basu participated. He wanted to introduce her with his son Akshaye Khanna in Himalay Putra. Basu felt she was too young and refused the offer. Later, Anjala Zaveri agreed to the role. Another judge Jaya Bacchan wanted to introduce Basu with her son Abhishek Bacchan in Akhari Mughal. However, Akhari Mughal was never made.
In 2001, Basu finally appeared in her first movie Ajnabee (2001). The movie was directed by Abbas-Mustan. It failed commercially and received negative reviews from critics.
- TNN (2012-06-01). "Bipashu Basu to marry by end of 2012?". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Bipashu-Basu-to-marry-by-end-of-2012/movie-review/11376599.cms. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Bipasha Basu to do item number?". Hindustan Times. 2011-12-05. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/Bipasha-Basu-to-do-item-number/Article1-777337.aspx. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- Garima Sharma (2011-10-22). "Bipasha Basu, a lady gunda". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-10-22/news-interviews/30306105_1_appu-ghar-delhi-girl-bipasha-basu. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Education of Bipasha Basu – Most popular Indian movie Star". 2010-03-03. http://www.bengalspider.com/resources/2657-Education-Bipasha-Basu-Sexy-Indian-Film-Star.aspx. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Desperately seeking Bipasha". Rediff.com. http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/may/17bip.htm. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Bipasha Basu's Debut-Go-Round Saga!". MovieTalkies.com. 2012-01-05. http://www.movietalkies.com/news/11631/bipasha-basu's-debut-go-round-saga. Retrieved 2012-01-26.