A chakra is an area in the body connected with life energy. There are seven chakras in the body - each is an interface for the flow of life energy. A chakra vitalizes a physical body and is associated with interactions of a physical, mental nature. Current science is not able to detect or measure chakras.
Although there are various interpretations as to what exactly a chakra is, the following features are common in all systems:
- They form part of a subtle energy body, along with the energy channels, or nadis, and the subtle winds, or pranas.
- They are located along a central nadi, Sushumna, which runs either alongside or inside the spine.
- Two other nadis, Ida and Pingala, also run through the chakras, and alongside Sushumna. They occasionally cross Sushumna at the location of the chakras.
- They possess a number of 'petals' or 'spokes'. In some traditions, such as the Tibetan, these spokes branch off into the thousands of nadis that run throughout the human body.
- They are generally associated with a mantra seed-syllable, and often with a variety of colours and deities.
Types of Chakras [change]
The seven main chakras are described as being present in an ascending column from the base of the spine to the head. The chakras are usually connected with a certain color. Each chakra is also connected with some paryt of consciousness.
The following seven primary chakras are commonly described:
- Muladhara (Sanskrit: मूलाधार, Mūlādhāra, Thai: มูลาธาระ) Base or Root Chakra (ovaries/prostate)
- Swadhisthana (Sanskrit: स्वाधिष्ठान, Svādhiṣṭhāna, Thai: สฺวาธิษฺฐานะ) Sacral Chakra (last bone in spinal cord, the coccyx)
- Manipura (Sanskrit: मणिपूर, Maṇipūra, Thai: มณีปูระ) Solar Plexus Chakra (navel area)
- Anahata (Sanskrit: अनाहत, Anāhata, Thai: อนาหะตะ) Heart Chakra (heart area)
- Vishuddha (Sanskrit: विशुद्ध, Viśuddha, Thai: วิศุทฺธะ) Throat Chakra (throat and neck area)
- Ajna (Sanskrit: आज्ञा, Ājñā, Thai: อาชฺญา) Brow or Third Eye Chakra (pineal gland or third eye)
- Sahasrara (Sanskrit: सहस्रार, Sahasrāra, Thai: สหัสฺราระ) Crown Chakra (top of the head; 'soft spot' of a newborn)
- Root chakra (Muladhara)
- Navel chakra (Swadhisthana)
- Solar plexus chakra (Manipura)
- Heart chakra (Anahata)
- Throat chakra (Vishuddha)
- Third eye chakra (Ajna)
- Crown chakra (Sahasrara)
Other pages [change]
- Introduction to Chakras from Kheper.net
- BelindaGrace (2007). You are Clairvoyant - Developing the secret skill we all have. Rockpool Publishing. http://www.rockpoolpublishing.com.au/books.php?name=you-are-clairvoyant.
- Woodroffe, John (1919 - 1964). The Serpent Power. Madras, India: Ganesh & Co.. ISBN 0-486-23058-9.