Death and funeral of Ariel Sharon
His state funeral was held on 13 January. He was buried in line with Jewish burial customs. It was held as soon after death as possible. The day before the funeral, Sharon's body and coffin were placed in the Knesset Plaza for people to see.
His funeral began with an official ceremony held in the Knesset chamber. Politicians from Israel and other countries attended. His funeral was then held at his family's farm in the Negev desert. Sharon was buried there beside his wife, Lily.
Leaders attended his funeral service included U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, former Dutch Prime Minister Wim Kok, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Czech Prime Minister Jiří Rusnok and German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
References[change | change source]
- "Scientists say comatose former Israeli leader Ariel Sharon shows 'robust' brain activity". Fox News Channel. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/28/scientists-say-comatose-former-israeli-leader-ariel-sharon-shows-robust-brain/. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Obama: U.S. joins Israeli people in honoring Sharon's commitment to his country". Ha'aretz. 11 January 2014. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.568018. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Former prime minister Ariel Sharon dies at 85". The Jerusalem Post. 11 January 2014. http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Former-prime-minister-Ariel-Sharon-dies-at-85-337662. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Israel's Ariel Sharon dies at 85". Al Jazeera. 11 January 2014. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/01/israel-ariel-sharon-dies-at-85-201411231338785176.html. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Thousands pay last respects to Ariel Sharon". Al Jazeera. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/01/body-israel-ariel-sharon-lie-state-201411283126387266.html. Retrieved 13 January 2014.