President Richard Nixon (left) and Elvis Presley (right), December 1970
|Birth name||Elvis Aaron Presley|
|Also known as||The Hillbilly Cat (1953–55)|
|Born||January 8, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, USA
|Died||August 16, 1977 (aged 42)
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||Sun, RCA Victor|
Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 - August 16, 1977) was an American singer and actor. He was one of the first and most famous in rock and roll music. He also starred in many movies. His fame has lasted long after his death. He is one of the most well-known people from the 20th century in the world. He is so popular that some people know him as only "Elvis". He is also referred to as "The King of Rock and Roll", or just "The King".
Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi on January 8, 1935. He had a twin brother named Jesse Garon who died at birth (a headstone in his honor was placed at Graceland). He moved to Memphis, Tennessee with his family when he was 13 years old. Presley was one of the first musicians to play a type of music called rockabilly, which combined country music with rhythm and blues. His first single, "Heartbreak Hotel", was a hit, and was one of the first popular rock and roll songs.
Presley entered the military in 1958, and was stationed in Germany. He was honorably discharged from the military, and returned to the United States in 1960. In Germany, he met Priscilla Beaulieu, whom he married in 1967. They had a daughter which they named Lisa Marie (who was married to pop singer Michael Jackson).
- (May 9, 2002). "Elvis Presley - the Singer". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-10-12. Archived 24 July 2007 at WebCite
- "Elvis Presley 1953–1955 : The Hillbilly Cat". http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/elvis_presley_1953_1955.html. Retrieved 2008-08-16.
- http://discoveringelvis.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/elvis-twin-brother-jesse-garon-presley[dead link]
- What if Elvis Presley had never been born? - Telegraph
- Hear Elvis Presley (music and interviews) on the Pop Chronicles (1969).
- Elvis special: Doctor Feelgood | From the Observer | The Observer
Other websites [change]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Elvis Presley|
- Elvis Presley at the Internet Movie Database
- Elvis Presley at Allmovie
- Elvis Presley at Find A Grave
- Elvis Presley Enterprises - Official site of the Elvis Presley brand.
- Elvis Resources - Interviews and articles about Elvis Presley By Elvis Australia
- Elvis Presley's Graceland - A detailed history of Elvis' Graceland, with photos.
- Elvis Presley Directory
- Elvis Presley Tributes