|Born||Hélène Serafia Haasse
2 February 1918
Batavia, Dutch East Indies
|Died||29 September 2011 (aged 93)
|Period||1948 – 2011|
|Subjects||Historical novels, Dutch East Indies-Netherlands relationship|
|Spouse(s)||Jan van Lelyveld
(1944-2008; his death); 3 children
Haasse has received many awards for her writing. She received the Constantijn Huygens Prize in 1981 and the P. C. Hooft Award in 1984. She also won the Annie Romein Prize, the Dirk Martens Prize, and the Prize of the Public of the NS. She is the only author who has written for Boekenweek (Book Week) three times, in 1948, 1959 and 1994.
Many of Haasse's books have been translated into French. The Académie française gave Hasse an award called the Diplôme de médaille Argent in 1984. In 2000, she received another award. It was the Officier dans l’Ordre de la Légion d'Honneur.
The Chilean Ministry of Education gave her a prize in 1996. In 1989 the city of Boston awarded her the Boston Certificate of Recognition for her book In a Dark Wood Wandering. In 1992, Haasse went to the opening of the IKAPI International (Worldwide) Book Fair in Jakarta and visited Java, where she was born.
- "Notice of Death of Hella S. Hasse". nu.nl. 2011. http://www.nu.nl/boek/2629423/hella-s-haasse-overleden.html. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Hella Haasse: Grande Dame van de literatuur". de Volkskrant. http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2720/Nieuws/photoalbum/detail/2938202/305816/0/Hella-Haasse-grande-dame-van-de-literatuur.dhtml. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Evans, Julian. "The Tea Lords by Hella S Haasse – review | Books | The Guardian". The Guardian (London: GMG). ISSN 0261-3077. OCLC 60623878. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/dec/04/tea-lords-hella-haasse-review. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Hella S. Haasse - Hella S. Haasse interviewt koningin Beatrix". hellahaassemuseum.nl. 2008 [last update]. http://www.hellahaassemuseum.nl/objects/521.html. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Dutch writer Hella Haasse dies". The Daily Telegraph (London: TMG). ISSN 0307-1235. OCLC 49632006. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/8799692/Dutch-writer-Hella-Haasse-dies.html. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Hella Haasse - Obituaries, News - The Independent". The Independent (London: INM). ISSN 0951-9467. OCLC 185201487. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/hella-haasse-2364624.html. Retrieved 24 October 2011.