|Directed by||Christopher Nolan|
|Produced by||Christopher Nolan
|Written by||Christopher Nolan|
|Music by||Hans Zimmer|
|Editing by||Lee Smith|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Release date(s)||July 8, 2010(London premiere)
July 16, 2010 (United States)
|Running time||148 minutes|
Inception is a 2010 American science fiction action heist movie written, produced, and directed by Christopher Nolan. The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, and Michael Caine. DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a thief who collects information from the subconscious mind of his victims while they dream. Cobb has two children but cannot visit them. He is offered a chance to go back to his children in exchange for one last job: performing inception, which is planting a new idea, into the mind of his client's main business competitor.
The idea behind Inception was first developed over nine years before it was released. In 2001, Nolan wrote an 80-page treatment about dream-stealers, presenting the idea to Warner Bros. At first the story was written as a heist movie, based on ideas of lucid dreaming and dream incubation. Because Nolan wanted to have more experience working with big-scale movies, he chose to work on Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight. He spent six months polishing up the script for Inception before Warner Bros. purchased it in February 2009. Filming spanned six countries and four continents, beginning in Tokyo on June 19, 2009 and finishing in Canada in late November of the same year. Composer Hans Zimmer wrote the music for the movie.
Inception was officially budgeted at $160 million, a cost which was shared between Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Nolan's success with The Dark Knight helped gain the movie $100 million to spend on advertising. Inception was first screened in London on July 8, 2010 and was shown in standard and IMAX theatres on July 14, 2010. The movie had a lot of positive reviews and earned over $21 million on its opening day, and $62.7 million in the first weekend.
- George (2009-07-23). "Inception Cast and Crew Updates". Cinema Rewind. http://www.cinemarewind.com/2009/07/inception-cast-and-crew-updates.html. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- "Inception". BBFC. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF262637. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- Fritz, Ben (July 15, 2010). "Movie projector: 'Inception' headed for No. 1, 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' to open in third". Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/07/inception-sorcerers-box-office.html. Retrieved 2010-07-27. "It's also one of the most expensive, at $160 million, a cost that was split by Warner and Legendary Pictures."
- "Inception(2010)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=inception.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- Eisenberg, Mike (2010-05-05). "Updated ‘Inception’ Synopsis Reveals More". Screen Rant. http://screenrant.com/inception-plot-synopsis-deatails-mikee-58124/. Retrieved 2010-07-18. "One last job could give him his life back but only if he can accomplish the impossible—inception."
- Sheila Marikar (July 16, 2010). "Inside 'Inception': Could Christopher Nolan's Dream World Exist in Real Life? Dream Experts Say 'Inception's' Conception of the Subconscious Isn't Far From Science". ABC News. The Walt Disney Company. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/inside-inception-christopher-nolans-dream-world-exist-real/story?id=11174201.
- Itzkoff, Dave (2010-06-30). "A Man and His Dream: Christopher Nolan and Inception". The New York Times. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/a-man-and-his-dream-christopher-nolan-and-inception/. Retrieved 2010-07-01. "This is a Film I first pitched to the studio probably nine years ago, and I wasn’t really ready to finish it. I needed more experience in making a big movie."
- Michael Fleming (2009-02-11). "Nolan tackles Inception for WB". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999988. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Weekend Briefing: 'Inception' Breaks In, 'Apprentice' Lacks Magic". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2860&p=.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Jenny Peters (July 14, 2010). "Partying for a Cause at the "Inception" Premiere". Fashion Wire Daily. Yahoo!. http://news.yahoo.com/s/fwd/20100714/en_fashion_fwd/partyingforacauseattheinceptionpremiere.