|Company / developer||Jörg Schirottke (Aka. Kano)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest stable release||2012-05 (Hellfire) / May 23, 2012|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
Kanotix, also referred to as KANOTIX, is a Linux distribution Live CD (LiveDistro) based on Debian (until 2006 unstable, in 2007 KANOTIX moved to Debian Etch) with advanced hardware detection.  It can run from an optical disc drive without using a hard disk.
Kanotix includes about 1,200 software packages:
- KDE, the default desktop environment, including the Konqueror, IceWM, Beryl (allows access to a 3D desktop environment).
- Amarok, Video Disk Recorder
- Beryl (window manager)
- Internet access software, including the KPPP dialer, ISDN utilities and WLAN-NdisWrapper
- Iceweasel-web browser, IceDove Mail/News Client, Pidgin instant messenger
- K3b, for CD (and DVD) authoring and backup
- The GIMP, an image manipulation program
- Gparted and other tools for data rescue and system repair
- Network analysis and administration tools
- OpenOffice.org, an office suite
- Programming and development tools
- NTFS-3G used by default
Kanotix can be installed to the hard disk using the (graphical) acritoxinstaller, which, depending on optical drive, hard disk and processor speed, can take around 10 - 20 minutes.
In 2003 Jörg Schirottke was known with the nickname "Kano" in the former Knoppix-Forum (no more available). The distribution derived from "Kano's Scriptpage for Knoppix" . He wrote about Knoppix: "I like it much, but I had to improve it :)" . So he did. One of the main differences from Knoppix was the support of hard disk installation. The first "Kanotix"-preview was released at 24 December 2003 "KANOTIX XMAS 2003 PREVIEW". In 2004 and 2005 KANOTIX was a popular distribution ranking in the "top 20" of "distrowatch.com" . . In 2004 the releases were named "Bug Hunter" (Bug Hunter-01-2004 - X-2004). After problems with the stability in 2006 Jörg "Kano" Schirottke decided to move from Debian Sid to a less volatile basis. In October 2006 the main Kanotix co-developer (and most of Kanotix's other developers) left the project, to start sidux, another distribution based on Debian sid. The last Kanotix release based on Debian Sid was 2006-01-RC4.
Current Releases [change]
|10-2004||2004-11-28||Bug Hunter X|
|09-2004||2004-10-17||Bug Hunter 09|
|08-2004||2004-09-20||Bug Hunter 08|
|07-2004||2004-07-29||Bug Hunter 07|
|06-2004||2004-07-01||Bug Hunter 06|
|05-2004||2004-04-23||Bug Hunter 05|
|04-2004||2004-03-19||Bug Hunter 04|
|03-2004||2004-03-02||Bug Hunter 03|
|02-2004||2004-02-07||Bug Hunter 02|
|01-2004||2004-02-03||Bug Hunter 01|
Other websites [change]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Kanotix|