Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|F-35 Lightning II|
|An F-35C Lightning II, marked CF-1, conducts a test flight over the Chesapeake Bay|
|Role||Stealth multirole fighter|
|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||Lockheed Martin Aeronautics|
|First flight||15 December 2006|
|Status||In initial production, in U.S. service as a training aircraft|
|Number built||13 flight-test aircraft|
|Unit cost||F-35A: US$122 million (flyaway cost, 2011)
F-35B: US$150M (avg. cost, 2011)
F-35C: US$139.5M (avg. cost, 2011)
Note: Average costs excludes development cost
F-35A weapons system unit cost is US$183.5M (FY 2011)
|Developed from||Lockheed Martin X-35|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II|
The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole Fighter aircraft under development to perform ground attack, reconnaissance, and air defense missions with stealth capability.
References[change | edit source]
- "Adjustments Put F-35 on Track, Program Director Says". US DoD, 23 February 2011.
- Cost Predictions Rattle Foreign Customers&next=0 "JSF Cost Predictions Rattle Foreign Customers." Aviation Week, 23 March 2011.
- Shalal-Esa, Andrea. "US Navy, Air Force may field F-35s later than 2016." Thomson Reuters, 21 April 2011.
- King, Samuel Jr. "First F-35 arrives at Eglin." U.S. Air Force, 15 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II". Jane's All the World's Aircraft. (online version, 21 January 2008).
- McKinney, Brooks. "Northrop Grumman Begins Assembling First F-35 Production Jet." Northrop Grumman, 1 April 2008. Retrieved 19 April 2008
- Less than eight were completed prior to 1 April 2008.
- "FY 2012 Budget Estimates", p. 01–1. U.S. Air Force, February 2011.
- , Schwellenbach, Nick. "JSF Likely Far More Expensive Than Aircraft They're Replacing." Project on Government Oversight, 15 February 2011.
- Fulghum, David A. "Canada Expects Much Higher JSF Unit Costs." Aviation Week, 10 March 2011.
- "Knesset Finance Committee approves F-35 deal." Globes (Israel). Retrieved: 29 November 2010.