NCAA Division II
Division II is the middle division of competition in the National Collegiate Athletic Association. It is less competitive and less expensive than Division I, but more competitive than Division III, which offers no athletic scholarships. Divisions II and III were previously known togther as the NCAA College Division.
This is a list of Division II athletics (or sports) conferences:
- Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association
- Great American Conference
- Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- Great Lakes Valley Conference
- Great Midwest Athletic Conference
- This conference has begun competition, but is awaiting final approval by the NCAA, expected for the 2013–14 school year.
- Gulf South Conference
- Lone Star Conference
- Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association
- North Central Conference
- Northeast Ten Conference
- Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference
- Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference
- Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
- South Atlantic Conference
- Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- The WVIAC will split up after the 2012–13 school year.
These conferences do not play football:
- California Collegiate Athletic Association
- Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference
- Conference Carolinas
- East Coast Conference
- Great Northwest Athletic Conference
- Heartland Conference
- Pacific West Conference
- Peach Belt Conference
- Sunshine State Conference
One conference plans to start in July 2013, and will play football:
- Mountain East Conference – Made up of nine WVIAC members, plus three other schools.
These conferences play only one or two sports. Note that the NCAA treats swimming and diving as a single sport. Also, the NCAA counts men's and women's teams in the same sport as playing two different sports.
- Bluegrass Mountain Conference (swimming and diving)
- Deep South Conference (men's lacrosse)
- ECAC Division II Lacrosse League (men's lacrosse)
- Metropolitan Conference (swimming and diving)
- New South Intercollegiate Swim Conference (swimming and diving)
- Western Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (men's and women's lacrosse)