Blake went to Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His first published drawing was for Punch magazine, at the age of 16. He studied English Literature at Downing College, Cambridge (1953-6) and later studied at the Chelsea School of Art. He trained as a teacher at the Institute of Education before working at the Royal College of Art.
Blake gained a reputation as an illustrator of over 300 children's books. His work in Roald Dahl's books made him internationally famous. As well as his work with Dahl, Blake has also written several books of his own.
Awards and honours[change]
- In 1974 Blake and Russell Hoban were awarded the Whitbread Award for Children's Book for How Tom Beat Captain Najork & His Hired Sportsmen.
- In 1999 he was made the first Children's Laureate in the UK.
- In 2002 he was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal for his contributions to children's book illustration.
This is a list only of books both written and illustrated by Blake.
- Patrick, 1968, Jonathan Cape
- Jack and Nancy, 1969, Jonathan Cape
- Angelo, 1970, Jonathan Cape
- Snuff, 1973, Jonathan Cape
- Lester at the Seaside, 1975, Collins
- Lester and the Unusual Pet, 1975, Collins
- The Adventures of Lester, 1977, BBC
- Mister Magnolia, 1980, Jonathan Cape
- Quentin Blake's Nursery Rhyme Book, 1983, Jonathan Cape
- The Story of the Dancing Frog, 1984, Jonathan Cape
- Mrs Armitage On Wheels, 1987, Jonathan Cape
- Quentin Blake's ABC, 1989, Jonathan Cape
- All Join In, 1990, Jonathan Cape
- Cockatoos, 1992, Jonathan Cape
- Simpkin, 1993, Jonathan Cape
- The Quentin Blake Book of Nonsense Verse, 1994, Viking
- Clown, 1995, Jonathan Cape
- La Vie de la Page, 1995, Gallimard
- Mrs Armitage and the Big Wave, 1997, Jonathan Cape
- Dix Grenouilles (Ten Frogs), 1997, Gallimard
- The Green Ship, 1998, Jonathan Cape
- Zagazoo, 1998, Jonathan Cape
- Zap! The Quentin Blake Guide to Electrical Safety, 1998, Eastern Electricity
- Fantastic Daisy Artichoke, 1999, Jonathan Cape
- The Laureate's Party, 2000, Random House
- Un Bateau Dans le Ciel, 2000, Rue du Monde
- Words and Pictures, 2000, Jonathan Cape
- Tell Me a Picture, 2001, National Gallery Co Ltd
- Loveykins, 2002, Jonathan Cape
- Laureate's Progress, 2002, Jonathan Cape
- Mrs Armitage, Queen of the Road, 2003, Jonathan Cape
- A Sailing Boat In The Sky, 2003, Red Fox
- Angel Pavement, 2004, Jonathan Cape
- The Learning Journey (Illustrated versions, for parents, of key stages 1 and 2 of the National Curriculum for England)
- Interviews and articles