|• Mayor||Willard Church|
|• Total||5.3 sq mi (13.6 km2)|
|• Land||4.7 sq mi (12.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||126.2/sq mi (49.19/km2)|
|Time zone||Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)|
|• Summer (DST)||AKDT (UTC-8)|
Its name is Kuinerraq in the Central Alaskan Yup'ik language. This name was used as early as 1000 A.D.
Location[change | change source]
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city covers 5.2 square miles (13 km2). It is 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) of water. About 10.86% of the city's area is water.
Demographics[change | change source]
In 2000, there were 555 people living in Quinhagak. These people made up 137 households and 113 families. The population density was 118.5 people per square mile (45.8 people/km².) The people were 2.70% white, 96.04% Native American, and 1.26% multiple races. 0.72% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The median income (middle) for a household was $25,156 per year. The median income for a family was $25,313 per year. Men had a median income of $23,750. Women had a median income of $36,250. The per capita income for the whole city was $8,127. 26.1% of the population was below the poverty line.
Economy[change | change source]
Most of the people in Quinhagak are subsistence hunter-gatherers. This means that they hunt, fish, and pick berries and plants to eat but not to sell. There are lots of salmon, trout, birds, caribou, moose, and berries around the city. There is a little bit of work for money available through the government. The Lower Kuskokwim School District and the Native Village of Kwinhagak have some wage jobs.
Sources[change | change source]
- "2012 ACoM Members". Online Resource Center, Alaska Conference of Mayors. Juneau: Alaska Municipal League. 2012. http://www.akml.org/ACoM.html. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "Quinhagak". Alaska Community Information Summaries (CIS). http://www.dced.state.ak.us/dca/commdb/CIS.cfm?Comm_Boro_Name=Quinhagak. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data". US Census Bureau, American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/DEC/10_DP/DPDP1/1600000US0264600. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2000 and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2005-05-03. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.