The best-known portrait of Burns,
by Alexander Nasmyth, 1787 (detail)
|Born||25 January 1759
Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland
|Died||21 July 1796
Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 1796) was a famous poet born in Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland. Some of his most famous poems include To A Mouse, Auld Lang Syne, and Tam O'Shanter. Burns is seen as the national poet of Scotland. Much of his work is written in broad Scots, a version of English. His poem and song A Man's A Man For A' That was sung at the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999.
"To A Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church" is a 1786 Scots poem by Robert Burns:
- O, wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
- To see oursels as ithers see us!
- It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
- An' foolish notion:
- What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
- An' ev'n devotion!
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Burns, R (1993). Bold, A. ed. Rhymer Rab: An Anthology of Poems and Prose. London: Black Swan. ISBN 1-84195-380-6.
- Burns, R (2003). Noble, A; Hogg, PS. eds. The Canongate Burns: The Complete Poems and Songs of Robert Burns. Edinburgh: Canongate Books. ISBN 1-84195-380-6.
- Template:A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature
- Dietrich Hohmann: Ich, Robert Burns, Biographical Novel, Neues Leben, Berlin 1990 (in German)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Robert Burns|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Robert Burns|
- Modern English translations of poems by Robert Burns
- Works by Robert Burns at Project Gutenberg
- Robert Burns website at National Library of Scotland
- Archival material relating to Robert Burns listed at the UK National Archives
- Legacy of Robert Burns – National Archives of Scotland website
- Cousin, John William (1910). A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent & Sons, p. 57
- A recital of Tam O'Shanter a Tale
- A recital Address to the Unco Guid
- A recital of Address to a Haggis
- Video recital of Tam o' Shanter at YouTube
- Video recital Address to the Unco Guid or the rigidly righteous at YouTube
- A Recital Holly Willie's Prayer including Epitaph on Holly Willie