|Directed by||Mike Nichols|
|Produced by||Lawrence Turman|
|Written by||Charles Webb (novel)
|Music by||Dave Grusin
Paul Simon (songs)
|Editing by||Sam O'Steen|
|Distributed by||Embassy Pictures Corporation /
|Release date(s)||December 21, 1967|
In the movie and book, a recent college graduate (played by Dustin Hoffman) is seduced by Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), the wife of his father's business partner. He later falls in love with their daughter Elaine (Katharine Ross).
The movie was Hoffman's first major role (he had appeared before in just another one). He was nominated for an Academy Award for his performance.
Scenes from The Graduate have been well-remembered by many people, since it appeared. In one of them, one-word advice for corporate success ("Plastics") is given by a family friend of Benjamin's. (Reportedly, sales of stock in plastics companies jumped in the months after the movie appeared.) Another scene, where Ben tries to stop Elaine from marrying another man, has been imitated and parodied in television programs, including the cartoon series Daria.
Awards and honors [change]
Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman, and Katharine Ross earned Oscar nominations for their performances.
American Film Institute recognition
- 1998: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies - #7
- 2000: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs - #9
- 2002: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Passions - #52
- 2004: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Songs:
- "Mrs. Robinson" - #6
- 2005: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes:
- "Plastics." - #42
- "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" - #63
- 2007: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) - #17
Alfa Romeo made a "Graduate" edition Alfa Romeo Spider, the car Benjamin drives in the movie.
- "Domestic Grosses, Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation". Box Office Mojo. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- Steven Jay Schneider, ed. (September 2003). 1001 Movies You Muse See Before You Die. London: Quintessence Editions Ltd.. ISBN 978-0-7641-6151-3. http://1001beforeyoudie.com/.