Travel for fun[change | change source]
People who travel for fun are called "tourists". Places that a lot of people visit are called "resorts".
There are a lot of reasons why people travel for fun:
- Some people travel to learn about the history of a city or country, or learn about the people who live there, or their ancestors.
- People from cold places might want to relax in the sun. Many people from the north of Europe travel to Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey for the sun.
- Some people travel to do an activity which they cannot do at home. There are lots of skiing resorts in Switzerland and Austria, where people who do not have mountains at home can ski.
- People sometimes visit friends and family in another city or country.
- Finally, some people enjoy a change in scenery.
The tourism industry[change | change source]
The tourism industry has different parts. Some of these are:
- Travel; such as road transport, aeroplanes, railways and boats.
- Places to stay; such as hotels, camping grounds or parks, youth hostels, and bed and breakfasts.
- Food and drink; such as restaurants, cafes and bars.
Damage tourism can bring[change | change source]
Tourism can bring damage to the local area. Litter, scuba-diving and deforestation are problems for popular places such as St. Lucia, Hawaii and other exotic places. Scuba-diving can cause damage to coral reefs which are home to hundreds of species of sea animals.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Wikivoyage has tourism information for the whole world.
- Tourism Abbreviations, smartdefine.org
- Top Places to visit in 2014