Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||980s 990s 1000s – 1010s – 1020s 1030s 1040s|
|Years:||1014 1015 1016 – 1017 – 1018 1019 1020|
Events[change | change source]
By place[change | change source]
Europe[change | change source]
- c. May – Melus of Bari begins a rebellion, supported by Norman mercenaries. His forces are victorious in three battles against the Byzantine Empire.
- c. July – Cnut the Great, King of England, marries Emma of Normandy, widow of the monarch known as Æthelred.
- Cnut divides England into the four Earldoms of Wessex, Mercia, East Anglia and Northumbria.
- Kiev burns. Possible date at which construction of Saint Sophia's Cathedral, Kiev, is started.
Asia[change | change source]
- Abd-ar-Rahman IV replaces Suleiman II as Umayyad caliph.
- Hamza ibn-'Ali ibn-Ahmad publicly declares the founding of the Druze religion. During the reign of the Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah.
Africa[change | change source]
- Sunni revolt of Kairouan against the Shi'ite Zirid dynasty. The city is quickly retaken, robbed and destroyed.
Births[change | change source]
- October 29 – Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1056)
- Zhou Dunyi, Neo-Confucian philosopher in Song Dynasty China (d. 1073)
Deaths[change | change source]
- July 6 – Genshin, Japanese schoolar (b. 942)
- Abd-ar-Rahman IV, Umayyad caliph
- Eadric Streona, Earldorman of Mercia
- Elvira of Castile (daughter of García I), Regent of Leon (b. 965)
- Ramon Borrell, Count of Barcelona, (b. 972)