|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1050s 1060s 1070s – 1080s – 1090s 1100s 1110s|
|Years:||1083 1084 1085 – 1086 – 1087 1088 1089|
Events[change | change source]
- The Domesday Book is completed in England.
- Emperor Shirakawa of Japan starts his cloistered rule.
- The Imam Ali Mosque is rebuilt by the Seljuk Malik Shah I after being destroyed by fire.
- May 24 — Pope Victor III succeeds Pope Gregory VII as the 158th pope, though he does not accept election until May 9, 1087.
- October 23 – Battle of az-Zallaqah: Alfonso VI of León and Castile is defeated by the Almoravids, who had been called into Spain by Abbad III of Sevilla.
Deaths[change | change source]
- May 21 — Richilde, Countess of Mons and Hainaut
- May 21 — Wang Anshi, Chinese statesman, economist and poet (b. 1021)
- July 17 — King Canute IV of Denmark (b. 1043)
- September 25 — William VIII, Duke of Aquitaine (b. 1025)
- Sima Guang, Chinese historian and statesman (b. 1019)