Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1720s 1730s 1740s – 1750s – 1760s 1770s 1780s|
|Years:||1751 1752 1753 – 1754 – 1755 1756 1757|
Events[change | change source]
- June 19 – The Albany Convention of New England Colonies proposes an American Union
- July – Columbia University founded as King's College by royal charter of King George II of England. The college was originally in Lower Manhattan. Instruction was suspended in 1776 and the school would be reopened in 1784 as Columbia College. With the college's growth in the 19th Century, it would be renamed Columbia University in 1896.
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Mahmud I (1730-1754) to Osman III (1754-1757)
- Beginning of the French and Indian War in North America.
- Britain and its colonies adopted a new Marriage Act that formulated many of the rules of modern marriage.