2017 Finsbury Park attack
On 19 June 2017, at 00:15 BST, police officers responded to a vehicle running over several civilians with a reported "numerous casualties" in Finsbury Park, London. The attack occurred near Finsbury Park Mosque where the van ran over several worshippers.
The car reportedly crashed close to the Finsbury Park Mosque, with many of the injured seen wearing Muslim attire. Witnesses have said this is because worshippers were leaving the mosque at the time of the incident. One person has been arrested in relation to the attack. The individual, Darren Osborne, has been confirmed to be the attacker. It is being reported that 10 people have been injured in the attack and one person has been confirmed to have died.
On 23 June, Darren Osborne of Cardiff was charged with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder. In early February 2018 at Woolwich Crown Court, he was found guilty on both counts and was sentenced to life imprisonment.
References[change | change source]
- "Finsbury Park: 'Several hurt' as vehicle hits pedestrians". BBC News. 19 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Van hits worshippers outside Finsbury Park Mosque in London". Independent. 19 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Finsbury Park: 'Several hurt' as vehicle hits pedestrians". 19 June 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017 – via www.bbc.com.
- "Van hits pedestrians in London; 'number of casualties' reported". Tucson News Now. 18 June 2017. Archived from the original on 19 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "A Vehicle Has Struck Worshippers Outside A London Mosque, Causing Injuries". BuzzFeed News. June 18, 2017. Archived from the original on June 19, 2017.
“He was screaming before that — I’m going to kill all Muslims,” Saleh Aloudi said. “He was throwing punches all over.”
- Ross, Alice (27 June 2017). "Finsbury Park accused Darren Osborne appears at Old Bailey". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "BBC News: Man charged over Finsbury Park attack". BBC News. 23 June 2017.
- Rawlinson, Kevin (2 February 2018). "Darren Osborne jailed for life for Finsbury Park attack". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 February 2018.