An alarm is something used to alert people quickly to something. Most alarms use loud noises and/or flashing lights. Some alarms may use other ways of attracting peoples attention quickly, such as turning off loud machinery, shaking a bed or pillow.
Types of alarms[change | change source]
- Alarm clock - A clock designed to make noise to wake up people.
- Burglar alarm - An alarm that sounds if a person tries to enter a building without permission.
- Siren on an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire truck, police car).
- Severe weather sirens - Used to warn of severe weather, such as tornadoes or tsunamis.
- Klaxon - A type of siren, known for it's distinct sound. Often found on submarines.
- Fire alarm - An alarm for warning of fire inside of a building.