|Coordinates: 51°59′19″N 9°49′37″E / 51.98861°N 9.82694°ECoordinates: 51°59′19″N 9°49′37″E / 51.98861°N 9.82694°E|
|• Mayor (2021–26)||Bernd Beushausen (SPD)|
|• Total||72.86 km2 (28.13 sq mi)|
|Elevation||145 m (476 ft)|
|• Density||250/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Vehicle registration||HI, ALF|
Alfeld is a town in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is near the Leine River. Sieben Berge (Seven Hills) is to the northeast. The town is in the Metropolitan region Hannover-Braunschweig-Göttingen-Wolfsburg. It is within the district of Hildesheim in the southern part of Lower Saxony. The population in 2020 was about 18,500. The main political parties are SPD and then CDU. The town is both Protestant and Catholic.
History[change | change source]
The town was part of the Hanseatic League in the Middle Ages. The town was originally Catholic, but was also Protestant after the 16th century. Before the Thirty Year's War, the town was economically and culturally successful. The town was part of Prussia in the 19th century.
Tourist attractions[change | change source]
There is a historic part of town and several museums. The historic town includes a Latin School from 1610, a marketplace, and several churches like the St. Nicholas Church. The Fillerturm is a medieval watch tower. The Fagus Factory is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Sieben Berge are famous. They are often connected with the story Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. In the story, the Seven Hills is where Snow White and dwarves lived.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Stichwahlen zu Direktwahlen in Niedersachsen vom 26. September 2021" (PDF). Landesamt für Statistik Niedersachsen. 13 October 2021.
- ↑ "LSN-Online Regionaldatenbank, Tabelle A100001G: Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes, Stand 31. Dezember 2021" (in German). Landesamt für Statistik Niedersachsen.
- ↑ "Sehenswürdigkeiten - Alfeld (Leine)". www.alfeld.de. Retrieved 2022-07-21.
- ↑ "Fagus Factory". www.fagus-werk.com. Retrieved 2022-07-21.
- ↑ "Alfeld (Leine) Didn't Put Snow White But Tourists To Sleep". Retrieved 2022-07-21.