Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani (Arabic: علي الحسيني السيستاني; Persian: على حسينى سيستانى, born 4 August 1930), commonly known as Ayatollah Sistani, is an Iranian-born Iraqi Shia Marja'. He was born in Mashhad, Iran.
References[change | change source]
- Nasr, Vali, The Shia Revival, Norton, (2006), p. 171
- Iranian Intellectual urges Iraq's Sistani to respect Kurdistan Referendum
- Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani Fast Facts
- Andrew M. Cockburn (16 November 2003). "U.S. Ignores This Ayatollah in Iraq at Its Own Peril". Retrieved 24 February 2017 – via LA Times.
- Watling, Jack. "The Shia Militias of Iraq". The Atlantic. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- A Noble for Sistani
- Iraqi MPs launch move to nominate Ayatollah Sistani for Nobel Peace Prize Archived 14 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine