The English used in this article may not be easy for everybody to understand. (August 2018)
In Islam, God is called "Allah."
In Arabic[change | change source]
As a common noun[change | change source]
In Arabic, the general word for a god is ilaah. This is a common noun. It can mean a specific god, or any god at all, depending on how it is used.
As a proper noun[change | change source]
Usually, the word "Allah" is used by Muslims . However, Arab Christians also call their God "Allah."
The name "Allah" is made of four letters in Arabic, ا ل ل ه (or Alif Lam Lam Ha, from right to left, A-L-L-H), which when brought together make الله.
In Islam[change | change source]
In Islam, God is usually called "Allah."
For Muslims, "Allah" describes a single God who is all-powerful and never makes mistakes. Muslims believe that Allah created everything, including the heavens and the Earth, simply by saying Kun ("Be").
Muslims often repeat the word "Allah" many times when they are praying.
Other use[change | change source]
In The Levant, some Arab Christians call their God "Allah."
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "God". Islam: Empire of Faith. PBS. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Islam and Christianity", Encyclopedia of Christianity (2001):
- L. Gardet. "Allah". Encyclopaedia of Islam Online.
- Brown, Francis; Driver, S.R.; Briggs, Charles. A. (1996). Hebrew and English Lexicon. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendricksen. p. 41, entry 410 1.b. ISBN 978-1-56563-206-6.
- Böwering, Gerhard, God and His Attributes, Encyclopaedia of the Qurʼān, Brill, 2007
- Bentley, David (September 1999). The 99 Beautiful Names for God for All the People of the Book. William Carey Library. ISBN 978-0-87808-299-5.
- Murata, Sachiko (1992). The Tao of Islam: A sourcebook on gender relationships in Islamic thought. Albany NY USA: SUNY. ISBN 978-0-7914-0914-5.
- Britannica Concise Encyclopedia, Allah
- Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa, Allah
- "Surah Al-Ikhlas, Verse 1. [112:1]". Surah Al-Ikhlas . Retrieved 2019-03-14.