Alpine musk deer
|Alpine musk deer|
The Alpine musk deer (Moschus chrysogaster) is a deer that lives in Central Asia. This species is called endangered on the IUCN Red List and it is given first-class protection by the government of China.
Appearance[change | change source]
The fur of a musk deer is dark brown. They are 0.5 to 0.6 m high and .85 to 1 m long. They weigh 10 to 15 kg. They have long ears and short tails, and the male deer have very long canine teeth that look like tusks.
Male musk deer have musk pods that can weigh 30 to 45 g.
Musk deer can live 12 to 15 years.
Behavior[change | change source]
Threats[change | change source]
Alpine musk deer are in danger of dying out because human beings trap them. Like other musk male deer, male Alpine musk deer have musk pods that people use musk pods to make perfumes and in traditional medicines. When people set traps for male musk deer, they trap and kill female musk deer and fawns too.  In the 21st century, one kilogram of musk pod can pay USD45,000.
The government of China keeps some Alpine musk deer in captivity.
References[change | change source]
- Paras Bikram Singh; Janak Raj Khatiwada; Pradip Saud; Zhigang Jiang (March 20, 2019). "mtDNA analysis confirms the endangered Kashmir musk deer extends its range to Nepal". Scientific Reports. Nature. Retrieved July 21, 2021.
- "Rare alpine musk deer spotted in N China". CGTN. March 14, 2021. Retrieved July 21, 2021.
- "Moschus chrysogaster". Government of Nepal: Ministry of Forests and Environment, Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation. Retrieved July 21, 2021.
- Paras Bikram Singh; Pradip Saud; Douglas Cram; Kumar Mainali; Arjun Thapa; Nar Bahadur Chhetri; Laxman Prasad Poudyal; Hem Sagar Baral; Zhigang Jiang (November 24, 2018). "Ecological correlates of Himalayan musk deer Moschus leucogaster". doi:10.1002/ece3.4435. Retrieved July 21, 2021. Cite journal requires
- "Kashmir Musk Deer Seen in Afghanistan for First Time in 60 Years". Sci-News. November 2, 2014. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- Yewen Sun; Yujiao Sun; Zhihui Shi; Zhensheng Liu; Chang Zhao; Taofeng Lu; Hui Gao; Feng Zhu; Rui Chen; Jun Zhang; Ruliang Pan; Liwei Teng; Songtao Guo (January 21, 2020). "Gut Microbiota of Wild and Captive Alpine Musk Deer (Moschus chrysogaster)". Frontiers in Microbiology. 31. Retrieved July 21, 2021.