|Alton Towers Resort|
|Location||Alton, Staffordshire, England|
|Owner||Merlin Entertainments Group|
|General Manager||Ian Crabbe |
|Operated By||Alton Towers Resort Operations Ltd.|
|Opened||13 April 1860 (as country estate)|
4 April 1980 (as theme park)
|Previous names||Alton Towers|
|Operating season||Theme Park|
Main season: mid March–early November
Santas Sleepovers: Late November-Early January
Alton Towers Hotel
Splash Landings Hotel
May - October (2017)
CBeebies Land Hotel
Alton Towers Waterpark
Alton Towers Hotel Spa
Enchanted Forest Tree Top Quest
|Visitors (per annum)||1.980 million (2016)|
|Area||910 acres (370 ha) (total combined resort area)[source?]|
|Slogan||Escape to the Alton Towers Resort|
It has seven large roller coasters and three smaller roller coasters.
Theme: Escapism or escaping normal life
Roller coasters[change | change source]
- Galactica - riders fly under the track. First flying roller coaster built by Bolliger & Mabillard.
- Nemesis - riders sit under the track.
- Oblivion - first vertical drop roller coaster [ 87 degrees drop ]
- Rita - 61 mph launched roller coaster.
- The Smiler - first roller coaster that turns riders upside down 14 times.
- Thirteen - riders travel forwards and backwards., and also has the first free fall drop.
- Wickerman - wooden roller coaster with fire effects.