Area is the amount of space a two dimensional (flat) surface takes up. It is useful because it is how much of a material is needed to make a hollow container. Area is the amount of surface covered by a close object or shape.
Small areas can be measured in square centimetre and large areas in square kilometre. The area of a planar figure is often written as . Areas of regular shapes such as square, rectangle, triangle and circle can be calculated through formulas. The area of an irregular shape can be approximated through grid or graph paper.
- Area of a rectangle is the length of any two touching sides multiplied together. In other words, length times width.
- Area of a triangle is half of the base multiplied by the perpendicular height. In other words, .
- Area of a circle:
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Geometry and Trigonometry Symbols". Math Vault. 2020-04-17. Retrieved 2020-09-24.
- "Area - Math Open Reference". www.mathopenref.com. Retrieved 2020-09-24.
- "What is Area?". www.mathsisfun.com. Retrieved 2020-09-24.