Arthur Buchwald (October 20, 1925 – January 17, 2007) was an American humorist. He was best known for his column in The Washington Post. His columns were published nationwide in more than 500 newspapers. His columns focused on political satire and commentary.
He received the Pulitzer Prize in 1982 for Outstanding Commentary, and in 1991 was elected to the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters.
In 1988 Buchwald sued Paramount Pictures in over the Eddie Murphy movie Coming to America. Buchwald said Paramount had stolen his script. He won, was awarded damages, and accepted a settlement from Paramount.
In 2000, Buchwald had a stroke. In 2006, he had one leg amputated because of bad blood circulation caused by diabetes. Buchwald died on January 17, 2007 in Washington, D.C. of kidney failure, aged 81.
References[change | change source]
- O'Donnell, Pierce; McDougal, Dennis (1992). Fatal Subtraction: How Hollywood Really Does Business. The Inside Story of Buchwald v. Paramount. New York City: Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-41686-5.
- Washington Home and Hospice Archived June 26, 2006, at the Wayback Machine; Retrieved on 2007-01-18
- "Columnist Art Buchwald dead at 81". CNN. January 18, 2007. Archived from the original on January 20, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-18.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Art Buchwald|
- Art Buchwald, Barry Crimmins, Paul Krassner, Kurt Vonnegut – Beating Around the Bush: An Evening of Satire recorded on October 6, 2005, at The New York Society for Ethical Culture, 63 min., mp3 format
- Diane Rehm interviews Art Buchwald in his hospice room (February 24, 2006) RealAudio, Windows Media
- The Final Days of Art Buchwald: A Visit by Suzette Standring – Editor & Publisher
- Shafer, Ronald G. (March 4, 2006). "The Genius of Art Buchwald". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- Hold the eulogies, he's not ready to sign off yet The Boston Globe July 16, 2006
- "Art Buchwald Dies With Funny Bone Intact" Forbes.com
- Buchwald Appearances on C-SPAN