The Cable News Network (CNN) is an American cable news television channel. It was founded in 1980 by Ted Turner. The Cable News Network first aired on television on June 1, 1980. The Cable News Network's first newscast was anchored (hosted) by David Walker and his wife Lois Hart. In its first year CNN hired many political analysts, including Rowland Evans and Robert Novak.On January 1, 1982 CNN launched a 24 hour sister newscast channel with no talk shows or commentary shows called CNN2. CNN broadcasts programs from its headquarters at the CNN Center in Atlanta, or from the Time Warner Center in New York City, or from studios in Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. CNN is owned by Time Warner, and the U.S. news channel is a part of the Turner Broadcasting System.
CNN has been criticized by the right-wing Media Research Center for having a left-wing bias.  CNN tends to be left of center in its news reporting. According to that same Center, it is less far to the left than the news divisions of ABC, NBC, and CBS. Under current CNN President Jeff Zucker, the network has become more left-wing. Zucker has stated he wants CNN to be a left-wing counterweight to the right-wing Fox News Network. It has been criticized by Arabs for having a pro-American bias. CNN is behind Fox News Network in the ratings now. 
See also[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Reese Schonfeld Bio. (January 29, 2001) MeAndTed.com. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Charles Bierbauer, CNN senior Washington correspondent, discusses his 19-year career at CNN. (May 8, 2000). CNN.com. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- CNN Press Room CNN's First Broadcast June 1, 1980 http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/01/cnns-first-broadcast-june-1-1980/
- The Telegraph May 16, 1981 On the Cable CNN is a 24 hour video newspaper by Tony Seideman http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19810516&id=P6krAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IP0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4291,3826132
- Cable News to Air Sunday Associated Press May 29, 1980 http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19800529&id=v8gsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RhMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7138,6800547
- Turner, Ted Call me Ted https://books.google.com/books?id=O8bQBgj2znwC&pg=PT126&dq=phyllis+schlafly+cnn&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z4ThVPDHK4P3yQTh-YHAAg&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=phyllis%20schlafly%20cnn&f=false
- Worth Noting August 21, 1981 St. Petersburg Times http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19810821&id=8Z4oAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OnsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3119,5087088
- Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting