Beijing National Stadium
|Full name||National Stadium|
|Broke ground||24 December 2003|
|Opened||28 June 2008|
|Construction cost||US$423 million|
($492 million in 2021 dollars)
|Architect||Herzog & de Meuron|
China Architectural Design & Research Group
Ai Weiwei (Artistic consultant)
91,000 (2008 Olympics)
|Tenants||2008 Summer Olympics|
Supercoppa Italiana (2009, 2011–12)
2015 World Championships in Athletics
Beijing National Stadium is a stadium in Beijing, China. It is officially called the National Stadium and also known as the Bird's Nest (鸟巢). The stadium was made for use during the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics.
The stadium cost US$423 million. A shopping mall and a hotel are planned to be built. This will increase use of the stadium. There was trouble attracting events, football and otherwise, after the Olympics.
The eastern and western stands of Beijing National Stadium are higher than northern and southern stands. This is in order to improve sightlines. A 24-hour per day rainwater collector is near the stadium. After water is purified, it is used throughout and around the stadium. Pipes were placed under the playing surface to gather heat in the winter to warm the stadium and coldness in the summer to cool the stadium. The stadium's design originally could fit 100,000 people. 9,000 seats were removed from the design. Then 11,000 temporary seats were removed after the 2008 Olympics. Now the stadium can have 80,000 people.
The stadium hosted the 2009 Race of Champions. In July 2010, the stadium hosted a friendly football match between Premier League team Birmingham City and Beijing Guoan. In August 2011, the Bird's Nest hosted the Supercoppa Italiana. This was the stadium's second in three years.
References[change | change source]
- Pasternack 2008, pp. 93 harv error: no target: CITEREFPasternack2008 (help)
- "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2008". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "Beijing National Stadium, Olympic Green". East Asia. Arup. Archived from the original on 6 June 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- Demick, Barbara (22 February 2009). "Beijing's Olympic building boom becomes a bust". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 25 February 2009.
- "Architect: After-Games use is taken into consideration". National Stadium. The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. 28 June 2008. Archived from the original on 24 August 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Bird's Nest welcomes rain". National Stadium. The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. 29 June 2008. Archived from the original on 24 August 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "A green Bird's Nest". National Stadium. The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. 22 May 2008. Archived from the original on 24 August 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Boxes inside 'Bird's Nest'". National Stadium. The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. 29 June 2008. Archived from the original on 24 August 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Race of Champions moves to Beijing". Haymarket Publications. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2009.
- "Beijing selected to host 2015 World Championships". www.iaaf.org. IAAF. 20 November 2010. Retrieved 20 November 2010.