Betty Schrampfer Azar is an expert on teaching and learning English grammar. She wrote the Azar Grammar Series for students of English as a second or foreign language. This series is used by teachers and students all over the world. It has been very popular for more than thirty years.
Azar thinks teaching grammar is a good way to teach a new language. Students should start by learning about grammar, and that will help them learn all language skills — speaking, listening, writing, and reading.
There are four editions of Azar's book series. Stacy A. Hagen became Azar's co-author 2006, so now the books are called the Azar-Hagen Grammar Series.
There are three main textbooks in the series:
- Understanding and Using English Grammar,
- Fundamentals of English Grammar
- Basic English Grammar.
References[change | change source]
- ESL MiniConference / April 2002 / Achievement Profile: Betty Schrampfer Azar
- TESL-EJ/September 2007/Volume 11/Number 22/Grammar-Based Teaching: A Practitioner's Perspective
- A Description of Grammar-Based Teaching
- Betty Schrampfer Azar and Stacy Hagen (2009) Understanding and Using English Grammar (4th ed.). Pearson Education. ISBN 978-0132333337.
- Betty S. Azar and Stacy Hagen (2011).Fundamentals of English Grammar Pearson Education. ISBN 978-0137071692
- Betty Schrampfer Azar and Stacy Hagen (2014) Basic English Grammar(4th ed.). Pearson Education. ISBN 978-0132942249