Wheeler with the Jets in 2013
August 31, 1986|
Plymouth, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|National team||United States|
5th overall, 2004|
Blake James Wheeler (born August 31, 1986) is a American ice hockey right winger. He currently plays for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also played for the Boston Bruins and Atlanta Thrashers of the NHL and EHC München of the DEL.
Career[change | change source]
Before playing in the NHL, Wheeler played 1 season with the Green Bay Gamblers of the United States Hockey League (USHL). He also played 3 years of college ice hockey at the University of Minnesota. During his time with University of Minnesota, he was named the WCHA Most Valuable Player in Tournament in 2007.
Wheeler was drafted with the 5th overall pick by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Wheeler and the Coyotes could not agree on a contract and he signed an entry-level contract with the Boston Bruins on July 1, 2008. On October 9, he scored played in his first NHL games and also scored his first NHL goal against Peter Budaj of the Colorado Avalanche.
On February 18, 2011, he was traded along with Mark Stuart to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Boris Valabik and Rich Peverley. On July 18, 2011, he signed a two-year, $5.1 million deal with the Jets when the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg.
References[change | change source]
- "Gophers Defeat N.D. In OT, 3-2". WCCO-TV. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Boston Bruins Sign Forward Blake Wheeler". Boston Bruins. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Game Boxscore: Boston @ Colorado - 10/09/2008". NHL. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Bruins land Peverley for Wheeler, Stuart". NHL. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Wheeler Among Seven Jets Signings on Monday". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Blake Wheeler player profile at NHL.com
- Blake Wheeler career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database