COVID-19 pandemic in Argentina
|COVID-19 pandemic in Argentina|
|First outbreak||Milan, Italy (local)|
Wuhan, China (global)
|Index case||Buenos Aires|
|Arrival date||3 March 2020|
(1 year, 10 months, 2 weeks and 1 day)
Cases[change | change source]
On 7 March, the Ministry of Health confirmed the country's first death, a 64-year-old man who had traveled to Paris, France, who also had other health conditions. The case was only confirmed as positive after the patient's death. This also marked the first documented death from the virus in the country.
Response[change | change source]
On 19 March, Argentina entered a nation-wide lockdown. The Argentine government announced the extension of the lockdown, originally expected to end on March 31, then mid April, and later until 26 April.
On 25 April, President Alberto Fernández announced that the lockdown would be extended in major cities until 10 May. The lockdown was lifted up throughout all the country since 10 May, excepting the Greater Buenos Aires, as the lockdown is expected to continue in that urban area at least until 24 May.
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Confirmaron el primer caso de coronavirus en la Argentina: es un hombre que viajó a Italia". Clarín (in Spanish). 3 March 2020. Archived from the original on 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Confirmaron el primer caso de coronavirus en la Argentina". Infobae (in Spanish). 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Quinn, Sarah Marsh (now); Ben; Campbell, Lucy; Rourke (earlier), Alison; Tondo, Lorenzo; Marsh, Sarah; Mason, Rowena; Campbell, Lucy (3 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Iran to mobilise 300,000 soldiers and volunteers as 23 MPs infected – latest news". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 3 March 2020 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Se confirmó el segundo caso de coronavirus en Argentina: es un hombre de 23 años que vino de Italia". Infobae (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Primera muerte por coronavirus en Argentina: era un hombre que había viajado a Francia y estaba internado en el Argerich". Infobae (in Spanish). 7 March 2020. Archived from the original on 7 March 2020. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Argentina announces mandatory quarantine to curb coronavirus". Reuters. 19 March 2020. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Do Rosario, Jorgelina; Gillespie, Patrick (20 March 2020). "Argentina Orders 'Exceptional' Lockdown in Bid to Stem Virus". Bloomberg News.
- "Argentina extends coronavirus quarantine until mid April". Reuters. 29 March 2020. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Argentina's Fernandez extends coronavirus lockdown through April 26". Reuters. 10 April 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
- "Argentina extends coronavirus quarantine until May 10". Reuters. 25 April 2020.
- "Argentina extends quarantine for capital Buenos Aires, relaxes elsewhere - President". Reuters. 9 May 2020. Retrieved 9 May 2020.