COVID-19 pandemic in Bulgaria
|COVID-19 pandemic in Bulgaria|
Number of confirmed cases in Bulgaria by province (as of 7 May)
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China (globally)|
|Index case||Pleven, Gabrovo|
|Arrival date||8 March 2020|
|Bulgarian Ministry of Health|
Cases[change | change source]
The first case was confirmed on 8 March 2020, a 27-year-old man from Pleven and a 75-year-old woman from Gabrovo. Neither of the two had traveled to areas with known coronavirus cases. The man tested positive for the virus after being hospitalized for a respiratory infection. Two other samples in Pleven and Gabrovo were positive on 8 March.
Response[change | change source]
After the number of patients in the country had reached 23, the Bulgarian Parliament voted unanimously to declare a state of emergency from 13 March until 13 April.
A 14-day preventive house quarantine was made for citizens who have been in contact with a COVID-19 patient or have returned from an overseas region with a high number of cases.
For patients tested positive for the virus a 21-day house quarantine was created. The National Crisis-management Staff later increased the recovery house quarantine by a week to 28 days. With the continuing increase of COVID-19 cases on a daily basis, on 1 April the Bulgarian government requested that Parliament extends the state of emergency by one month until 13 May.
Numbers[change | change source]
As of 14 May 2020, there are 2,100 officially confirmed cases spread throughout all Bulgarian provinces, with 99 recorded deaths and 521 recoveries. A total of 61,711 PCR tests (or 8,868 per million citizens) had been performed by 13 May, with 3.40% being positive.
References[change | change source]
- "Коронавирус COVID-19 на територията на България". ESRI Bulgaria: COVID-19 Tracker (in Bulgarian). 28 March 2020. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Bulgaria, Moldova Report First Coronavirus Cases". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 8 March 2020.
- "Проф. Тодор Кантарджиев: От Плевен имаме две положителни проби за коронавирус, от Габрово също" (in Bulgarian). 8 March 2020. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "НС прие с пълно единодушие обявяването на извънредно положение в цялата страна - По света и у нас". news.bnt.bg (in Bulgarian). Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "28-дневна карантина за заразени с коронавирус - България". dariknews.bg (in Bulgarian). Retrieved 2020-04-01.
- "Коронавирус: В България удължават извънредното положение". Deutsche Welle (in Bulgarian). 1 April 2020. Retrieved 26 April 2020.
- "Новини". coronavirus.bg (in Bulgarian). Retrieved 2020-04-22.