COVID-19 pandemic in Chile
|COVID-19 pandemic in Chile|
|Arrival date||3 March 2020|
(2 years, 3 months, 1 week and 1 day)
|minsal.cl: Nuevo Coronavirus COVID-19|
First cases[change | change source]
On 3 March, The Minister of Public Health confirmed the first case of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Chile, thus making the country the fifth in Latin America to report such an instance after Brazil, Mexico, Ecuador and Argentina.
The next day, two more cases were confirmed.
Responses[change | change source]
On 13 March, President Sebastián Piñera announced a ban on public events with more than 500 people, as the government tries to control the spread of coronavirus. A week later, he announced a state emergency.
References[change | change source]
- "Chile records first confirmed case of coronavirus: health ministry". Archived from the original on 5 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Confirman primer caso de coronavirus en Chile: paciente está en Talca". 24Horas.cl (in Spanish). 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Esposa de médico con coronavirus también está contagiada". Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "Chile bans large public events over coronavirus fears, ahead of planned protests". reuters. No. Mar2020. reuters.com. 15 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus en Chile: Piñera decreta estado de catástrofe por 90 días". Oasis FM (in European Spanish). No. Mar2020. oasisfm.cl. Retrieved 18 March 2020.