COVID-19 pandemic in Uruguay
|COVID-19 pandemic in Uruguay|
Departments of Uruguay with confirmed coronavirus cases (as of 27 April)
|Arrival date||13 March 2020|
(1 year, 3 months and 3 days)
|Confirmed cases||719 (as of May 13, 2020)|
|Active cases||155 (as of May 13, 2020)|
|Severe cases||8 (as of May 13, 2020)|
|Recovered||545 (as of May 13, 2020)|
|19 (as of May 13, 2020)|
|Sistema Nacional de Emergencias|
Cause[change | change source]
Response[change | change source]
President Luis Lacalle Pou said that the idea of closing the border with Brazil was "a little more complex", because it is a dry land border, and many people living near the border. Lacalle Pou advised people over 65 to stay at home.
The government recommended working from home and not traveling. To free up hospital beds, surgeries were rescheduled.
Temperature checks were introduced in prisons and activities for prisoners restricted.
References[change | change source]
- "A brand-new challenge" (in Spanish). El Observador. 15 March 2020.
- "Van seis casos de coronavirus en Uruguay; todos se encuentran fuera de peligro". El País (in Spanish). 14 March 2020. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "Hay 80 casos sospechosos de coronavirus en cuarentena en Salto". Telemundo 12. 15 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Gobierno confirma 29 casos en Uruguay y decreta cierre de fronteras con Argentina". El País. 16 March 2020. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- "Uruguay closes borders with Argentina in bid to block coronavirus". Buenos Aires Times. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- "Suspenden vuelos desde Europa para contener el brote y lanzarán una nueva app". El Observador. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Gobierno suspenderá vuelos desde Europa, habilitará chatbot para consultas y nueva app". Diario EL PAIS Uruguay (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: qué medidas se tomaron en las cárceles para prevenir el contagio". Diario EL PAIS Uruguay (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 March 2020.