|Industry||Networking hardware & software|
|Founded||December 10, 1984San Francisco, California, United Statesin|
|Products||List of Cisco products|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||List of acquisitions by Cisco Systems|
Cisco Systems, Inc. is an American multinational technology conglomerate headquartered in San Jose, California, in the center of Silicon Valley. Cisco develops, manufactures and sells networking hardware, telecommunications equipment and other high-technology services and products. Through its numerous acquired subsidiaries, such as OpenDNS, WebEx, Jabber and Jasper, Cisco specializes into specific tech markets, such as Internet of Things (IoT), domain security and energy management.
Cisco stock was added to the Dow Jones Industrial Average on June 8, 2009, and is also included in the S&P 500 Index, the Russell 1000 Index, NASDAQ-100 Index and the Russell 1000 Growth Stock Index.
Cisco Systems was founded in December 1984 by Leonard Bosack and Sandy Lerner, two Stanford University computer scientists. They pioneered the concept of a local area network (LAN) being used to connect geographically disparate computers over a multiprotocol router system. By the time the company went public in 1990, Cisco had a market capitalization of $224 million. By the end of the dot-com bubble in the year 2000, Cisco had a more than $500 billion market capitalization.
References[change | change source]
- "Contact Cisco". Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- "Cisco Systems, Inc. 2018 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (PDF). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. August 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- ""Cisco, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Sep 12, 2012"" (PDF).
- "Cisco, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Sep 12, 2012" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 12, 2019. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Cisco Systems | 2021 Fortune 500". Fortune. Retrieved 2022-05-03.
- Browning, E.S. (June 1, 2009). "Travelers, Cisco Replace Citi, GM in Dow". Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Retrieved June 2, 2009.
- Toscano, Paul (2013-04-17). "Tech Companies Are Doing It Wrong: Cisco Co-Founder". www.cnbc.com. Retrieved 2022-05-03.
- "Cisco ascends to most valuable company". CNET. Retrieved 2022-05-03.
- "Cisco pushes past Microsoft in market value". CBS Marketwatch. March 25, 2000. Retrieved January 25, 2007.