Type of site
|Created by||Larry Sanger|
|Registration||Yes (Required to edit pages, via request of account)|
Citizendium (short for the citizens' compendium) is an English-language wiki-based online encyclopedia launched by Larry Sanger in 2007. On this wiki, people have to use their given names and must request an account to prove they are real. Articles created by Citizendium editors are under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. As of September 2020, Citizendium has 17,000 articles and 149 approved articles.
When Citizendium started, experts were given a special status: they were allowed to "approve" articles and were able to decide who is right when there are conflicts over the content in the encyclopedia. As of 2020, the former "experts" policy is in limbo, as the membership of the wiki is too small to implement it and because it was deemed not effective. All writers are treated as equal.
Citizendium is now a small community. In early 2022, it had around ten contributors making at least one edit a month. The managing editors in 2022 are Pat Palmer and John Stephenson.
References[change | change source]
- "Citizendium.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2018-12-29.
- Lee, Timothy B. "Citizendium turns five, but the Wikipedia fork is dead in the water". Ars Technica. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Welcome to Citizendium", Citizendium. Retrieved 2022-04-11, and "Statistics", Active users (Users who have performed an action in the last 30 days), Citizendium. Retrieved 11 April 2022.
- "Category:CZ Live". Citizendium. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Category:Approved Articles". Citizendium. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- CZ Financial report