Type of site
|Created by||Larry Sanger|
|Alexa rank||315,765 (As of 29 December 2018[update])|
|Registration||Yes (Required to edit pages, via request of account)|
|Launched||23 October 2006 (pilot)|
25 March 2007 (public)
|Current status||Largely inactive|
|CC BY-SA 3.0|
Citizendium (short for the citizens' compendium) is an English-language wiki-based online encyclopedia launched by Larry Sanger in 2007. On this wiki, people have to use their given names and must request an account to prove they are real. Articles created by Citizendium editors are under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. As of October 2013, Citizendium has 16,500 articles and 149 approved articles.
Experts are given a special status on Citizendium: they are allowed to "approve" articles and are able to decide who is right when there are conflicts over the content in the encyclopedia.
Citizendium has continued to decline. As of November 2017[update], it had about 5 contributors making at least one edit a month. The last managing editor was Anthony Sebastian. The office was vacated in 2016.
References[change | change source]
- "Citizendium.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2018-12-29.
- Lee, Timothy B. "Citizendium turns five, but the Wikipedia fork is dead in the water". Ars Technica. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Welcome to Citizendium", Citizendium. Retrieved 2017-11-21, and "Statistics", Active users (Users who have performed an action in the last 30 days), Citizendium. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Category:CZ Live". Citizendium. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Category:Approved Articles". Citizendium. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- CZ Financial report
- "[Citizendium-l] New Managing Editor and reduced Council sizes". The Mail Archive. 1 July 2012. Archived from the original on 2016-05-21. Retrieved 1 July 2012. Cite has empty unknown parameter: