General view of Clervaux.
Map showing, in orange, the Clervaux commune
|• Mayor||Emile Eicher|
|• Total||85.0 km2 (32.8 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||544 m (1,785 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||274 m (899 ft)|
|• Density||60/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
History[change | change source]
In 2012, the commune of Clervaux was combined with the communes of Heinerscheid and Munshausen.
Geography[change | change source]
The highest point in the commune is in Schwaarzenhiwwel near the town of Marnach that is 544 m (1,785 ft) high, and the lowest point is 274 m (899 ft) high that is in the valley of the Our river near the town of Roder. The altitude is 208–428 m (682–1,404 ft) high. At the railway station, the altitude is 360 m (1,180 ft) high.
Population[change | change source]
Other towns, besides the town of Clervaux, within the commune are:
- Drauffelt (Draufelt)
- Eselborn (Eeselbur)
- Fischbach (Fëschbech)
- Grindhausen (Grandsen)
- Heinerscheid (Hengescht)
- Hupperdange (Hëpperdang)
- Urspelt (Ischpelt)
- Kalborn (Kaalber)
- Lieler (Léiler)
- Marnach (Maarnech)
- Mecher (Mecher)
- Munshausen (Munzen)
- Reuler (Reiler)
- Roder (Rueder)
- Siebenaler (Siwwenaler)
- Weicherdange (Wäicherdang)
Evolution of the population in Clervaux
Places of interest[change | change source]
- The Clervaux Castle. Here is on permanent display The Family of Man, a famous exhibit of photos collected by Edward Steichen. The castle also includes the Battle of the Bulge Museum, with an extensive collection of objects from World War II, and an exhibition of models of the castles and palaces of Luxembourg.
- The Abbey of St. Maurice and St. Maur is situated close to the town of Clervaux. Halldór Laxness, 1902–1998, the Nobel Prize-winning Icelandic writer, stayed at the abbey for some time.
- Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian, built in the years 1910-1912.
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Surface area of the cantons and municipalities". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Population by canton and municipality 1821 - 2017". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "La commune de Clervaux: Situation géographique" (PDF) (in French). clervaux.lu. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Altitudes of the different localities per cantons (in m)". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clervaux.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Clervaux|