Climatology is the study of climate, scientifically defined as weather conditions averaged over a period of time, and is a branch of the atmospheric sciences. Basic knowledge of climate can be used within shorter term weather forecasting using analog techniques such as teleconnections and climate indices.
History[change | change source]
The Greeks began the study of climate.
References[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- Climatology News Daily publication with news in all areas of climatology plus free news feeds for webmasters.
- Climate Prediction Center
- IPCC Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: The IPCC assesses the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant for the understanding of the risk of human-induced climate change.
- KNMI Climate Explorer The Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute's Climate Explorer graphs climatological relationships of spatial and temporal data.
- Climatology as a Profession Archived 2007-07-13 at the Wayback Machine Amer. Inst. of Physics account of the history of the discipline of climatology in the 20th century