|J. Craig Venter|
Craig Venter in 2007
|Born||October 14, 1946
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
|Institutions||State University of New York
National Institutes of Health
J. Craig Venter Institute
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego|
Shotgun approach to genome sequencing
|Notable awards||Kistler Prize (2008), ENI award (2008), National Medal of Science (2008)|
John Craig Venter (born October 14, 1946) is an American biologist and entrepreneur. He was one of the first to sequence the human genome, and led the team which made the first cell with a synthetic genome (2010).
Venter founded Celera Genomics, The Institute for Genomic Research and the J. Craig Venter Institute. He now works at his Institute to create synthetic (artificial) biological organisms, and to record genetic diversity in the world's oceans. He was listed on Time magazine's 2007 and 2008 Time 100 list of the most influential people in the world. In 2010, the British magazine New Statesman listed Craig Venter at 14th in the list of "The World's 50 Most Influential Figures 2010".
References[change | change source]
- Shreeve, Jamie (October 31, 2005). "The blueprint Of life". http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/051031/31genome.htm. Retrieved December 6, 2007.
- Fox, Stuart (May 21, 2010). "J. Craig Venter Institute creates first synthetic life form". http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0521/J.-Craig-Venter-Institute-creates-first-synthetic-life-form. Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- First synthetic bacterial cell 
- "14. Craig Venter - 50 People who matter 2010 |". New Statesman. http://www.newstatesman.com/global-issues/2010/09/gene-genius-craig-venter-life. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Venter, Craig (October 16, 2007). "Craig Venter: Creating life in a lab using DNA". The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3310672/Craig-Venter-Creating-life-in-a-lab-using-DNA.html.
- John Craig Ventnor 
- Richard Dawkins interviews Craig Ventnor. 
- Venter, J. Craig 2007. A life decoded: my genome: my life. New York: Viking. ISBN 0-670-06358-4