Damietta Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Manal Awad Mikhael|
|• Total||1,029 km2 (397 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
high · 5th
Damietta Governorate (Arabic: محافظة دمياط Muḥāfẓet Dumyat) is one of the governorates of Egypt. It is in the northeastern part of Egypt. It has a population of about 1 million. The city of Damietta is its capital.
The city of Damietta is famous for its guava farms, and for the palm trees from Ras El Bar in the east to Gamasa in the west. The governorate exports millions of palm trees to many countries every year, including Greece and China. Damietta also produces wheat, maize, cotton, rice, potatoes, lemon, grapes and tomatoes. It is famous for its sweet industry, sardine packing, and Domiati cheese. Ras El Bar is one of the oldest summer resorts in Egypt. It is at the point where the Nile meets the Mediterranean Sea.
Population[change | change source]
According to population estimates from 2015, most residents in the governorate live in rural areas. Only 38.7% live in urban areas. About 1,330,843 people live in the governorate. There are 815,244 people in rural areas and 515,599 in urban areas.
Furniture industry[change | change source]
The city of Damietta is famous for its skilled carpenters and furniture. Their products are sold in Egypt, and throughout the Middle East, Europe and the USA. Eighty percent of the governorate's income comes from furniture.
References[change | change source]
- "Population Estimates By Governorate ( Urban /Rural ) 1/1/2018". www.capmas.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2018-11-02. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Manal Mikhail Becomes Egypt's First Female Coptic Governor". Egyptian Streets (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Damietta Governorate official website