Axelrod in the Oval Office (2009)
|Senior Advisor to the President|
January 20, 2009 – January 10, 2011
|Preceded by||Barry Jackson|
|Succeeded by||David Plouffe|
|Born||February 22, 1955|
Lower East Side, New York, United States
Susan Landau (m. 1979)
|Alma mater||University of Chicago|
David M. Axelrod (born February 22, 1955) is an American political operative and analyst. He is best known as the Chief Strategist for Barack Obama's presidential campaigns. After Obama's election, Axelrod was appointed as Senior Advisor to the President. Axelrod left the White House position in early 2011 and became the Senior Strategist for Obama's successful re-election campaign in 2012.
He now serves as the director of the non-partisan Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago and is a Senior Political Commentator for CNN. In April 2014 it emerged that Axelrod had been appointed senior strategic adviser to the British Labour Party to assist party leader Ed Miliband in the run-up to the 2015 general election.
References[change | change source]
- Smith, Ben (November 19, 2008). "Ben Smith's Blog: Axelrod, and other senior staff". Politico. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- MacCallum, Martha (February 2, 2011). "Axelrod Departs the White House, Prepares for New Mission to Re-Elect Obama". FoxNews.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- Walsh, Ken (November 12, 2012). "The Election's Other Big Winner: David Axelrod". US News.
- "Institute of Politics | The University of Chicago". politics.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "Former Obama adviser Axelrod joining CNN - CNNPolitics.com". CNN. Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- Wintour, Patrick (17 April 2014). "Ed Miliband signs up top Obama adviser David Axelrod for UK election". theguardian.com. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to David Axelrod at Wikimedia Commons
- AKPD Media
- ASGK Public Strategies
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- David Axelrod collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Works by or about David Axelrod in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- The Agony and The Agony, Patrick T. Reardon, Chicago Tribune, June 24, 2007
- Profile: David Axelrod, Ned Temko, The Guardian, July 27, 2008
- Long by Obama’s Side, an Adviser Fills a Role That Exceeds His Title, Jeff Zeleny, The New York Times, October 26, 2008
- President’s Political Protector Is Ever Close at Hand, Jeff Zeleny, The New York Times, March 8, 2009